Brief History of Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery
The foremost Namkha Khyung Dzong monastery was established in 1906 when Kyabje Degyal Rinpoche, a close disciple of Dudjom Lingpa, visited source of Macha Khabab (one of the four major rivers of Tibet) in Rigung, Ngari and named the monastery as Namkha Khyung Dzong.Degyal Rinpoche was one of among thirteen spiritual sons or disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body.Most of Degyal Rinpoche’s numerous disciples are located in the Ngari region of Tibet, Ladakh and Piti in India, Humla, Karmarong, Dolpo and Mustang etc. in the Himalayan region of Nepal. There are also many major and minor branch monasteries in those areas. The original Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery was completely destroyed during the political change in Tibet in 1959 and the subsequent cultural revolution.
Ven Pema Rigsal Rinpoche
Venerable Pema Riksal Rinpoche
Venerable Pema Riksal Rinpoche was born on September 17, 1963. His father was the Second Degyal Rinpoche (Pema Jigme Namgyal) and mother, Kyama Tshering. At the age of three he was recognized as the reincarnation of “Chimed Rinpoche” who was an emanation of the Great Indian Siddha ‘Padampa Sangye’ and also spiritual head of the renowned Shedphel Ling Monastery in Ngari, Tibet, by His Holiness Dudjom Rinpoche (The Head of the Nyingma Sect of Tibetan Buddhism) and Ling Rinpoche (The Great Tutor of H.H. the Dalai Lama). His main enthronement ceremony was held at the Shedphel Ling Monastery at Mongod, India, which was overseen by Ven. Pema Kundol Rinpoche in 1977.