Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery is a Buddhist monastery of the Nyingma tradition, one of the four schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Our original monastery was situated in the western region of the Tibetan plateau, in an area called Ngari which is located near the Nepalese border. It is one of the main Nyingma monasteries which continues to carry on the religious tradition of Tragthung Dudjom Lingpa (1835-1904).
The foremost Namkha Khyung Dzong monastery was established in 1906 when Kyabje Degyal Rinpoche, a close disciple of Dudjom Lingpa, visited source of Macha Khabab (one of the four major rivers of Tibet) in Rigung, Ngari and named the monastery as Namkha Khyung Dzong.Degyal Rinpoche was one of among thirteen spiritual sons or disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body.Most of Degyal Rinpoche’s numerous disciples are located in the Ngari region of Tibet, Ladakh and Piti in India, Humla, Karmarong, Dolpo and Mustang etc. in the Himalayan region of Nepal. There are also many major and minor branch monasteries in those areas. The original Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery was completely destroyed during the political change in Tibet in 1959 and the subsequent cultural revolution.
Soon after, the second Degyal Rinpoche, Pema Jigme Choing Rangdol had a great wish to rebuild the Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery in the Ngari region or in Humla across the border. He could not accomplish his wish however, because of his health and lack of resources. Due to the aspirations of the second Degyal Rinpoche and the encouragement and guidance from Ven. Tsewang Rinpoche, Tulku Pema Rigtsal Rinpoche began establishing the Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery in Humla in 1985. Currently Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery in Humla has over one hundred and fifty monks, mainly preserving and propagating the traditional spiritual lineage of Namkha Khyung Dzong which follows the Dudjom New Treasure tradition of Nyingma, the old school of Tibetan Buddhism.